Content creation has exploded. The ability for anyone and everyone to generate their own blogs, videos, podcasts, pictures, articles or conferences has given rise to a culture of creation that is constantly pushing out some new piece of content.
Friday, July 30, 2010
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
I listened to a webinar recently by Bulldog Solutions about building buyer personae. This was a service they were rolling out when I worked there, and I wanted to see how it had evolved over the last year. It looks like they've made great strides with their tool.
My biggest take-away was the challenge companies face in selecting specific audiences to address in their marketing. It's very easy for companies to want public-facing information to be applicable to any reader. The downside to this approach is that the content must be so broadly understandable that it loses it's impact.
The buyer persona becomes valuable in directing your content development is knowing which audience you want looking at your content. When you've determined the right audience then you can provide information that is meaningful.
With a clear sense of audience, your content can then focus on:
- Specifics -- What does your reader need to learn from your content?
- Motivation -- How does the content move your reader further down the sales funnel?
- Call to Action -- How can your reader to take the next step?
Monday, July 19, 2010
Alternate title I considered "John's Search for Work"
As I prepare for myself to look for new career opportunities, I'm grateful to friends that have already helped me refine how I should be searching and what I'm actually looking for.
- Company - I'm looking for a company that has established itself but remains agile enough to execute new ideas -- ideally between 150-2,000 employees.
- Department - With 8 years of experience in communications and marketing, I'm looking for a position in a marketing or social media department.
- Role - My passion as a marketer lies in content development. Creating valuable content starts with a clear understanding of audience, requires skillful execution, and ends with measuring results. I have experience across this entire cycle.