In my first post on Lead Nurturing Fundamentals I talked about the need for marketing to do its homework. Marketers need to come with a clear sense of who they are seeking out and what prospects they feel are the best to pass along to sales.
- Have Sales rank the Demographic or BANT variables you've defined. Don't show them marketing's rankings yet. This is an exercise that can take all your time if you let it. Don't force the entire sales team to come to a consensus in this meeting. Just ask them where their sweet-spots are.
- Define any pre-qualification actions that marketing must take with newly generated leads.
- Define thresholds for escalating leads based on ranked criteria. When should they go to telequalifying? Insides Sales? Sales Rep?
- Define qualification actions or follow-up that sales must take with any marketing qualified leads (MQL).
- Define how leads must be passed back to marketing if they are not accepted by sales (Sales Accepted Leads - SAL)
- Define who will have responsibility for nurturing SALs that are not Sales Qualified Leads (SQL). Does that pass back to marketing? Inside Sales? Or stay with the Sales Rep?